Tuesday, August 09, 2005
SOME THOUGHTS ON PEAK OIL
- Peak oil does not mean that we will go from our present consumption to zero overnight.
- Peak oil means that we are pumping crude out of the ground faster then we are discoverimg new crude.
- Peak oil also means that as we find new oil - it is generally of lower quality (higher sulfur, higher molecular weight - therefore more expensive to refine), in smaller deposits (therefore more expensive to drill), and in more politically unfriendly places (therefore more "Blood for oil" wars).
- BOTTOM LINE - LESS AND LESS OIL AT HIGHER AND HIGHER PRICES.
WHAT ARE WE DOING ABOUT IT? NOTHING!
- OK - we are giving the oil companies tax breaks
- And relaxing environmental limits on coal
WHAT SHOULD WE BE DOING ABOUT PEAK OIL
- Raising "CAFE" (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) across the board from its present 22 mpg to a Prius level.
- Moving ahead with the alternatives that have proved technologically feasible (bio-diesel, anaerobic digested farm and packing house and sweage waste)
- Shift our "plastics" BACK TO coal and vegetable oil chemistry; Carbon-Carbon and Carbon-Hydrogen and Carbon-Oxygen bonds are the same from petroleum, coal, vegetable oils.
- Moving towards to "organic farming"
- Implementing Mass Transit
- Going back to rail roads vice "Big Rig" trucks
- Mandating pedestrian friendly, transit friendly "neighborhoods" instead of pedestrian unfriendly "developments" in rural regions. We can keep paving over farmland and rely on chemically intense agriculture.
Realize that at any point, crude may come down a little ("Random Walk") - but the trend is up. That is PEAK OIL.
PEAK OIL AND 9/11
Our "response" to Peak Oil has been a military response. One of many multiple causes of 9/11 was that we put US troops (including females) on the holy ground of
Our response to Peak Oil has been ever closer relationships with the House of Saud and ceding ever more control of our Foreign Policy to "Big Oil." Another of the many multiple causes of 9/11 was that many in the region perceive that the
Again, as our our response to Peak Oil has been ever closer relationships with the House of Saud, it is only natural that another of the many multiple causes of 9/11 was that many in the region perceive that the
All PEAK OIL